This ended the first week teaching Continuation Students at a local High School to the East of me. What was I thinking? Every day felt like a week; every period a whole day. This is a school where you get your credits by showing up every day. As an educator, I just can’t do that. I know I could. I could collect my paycheck, sit on my arse, give out worksheets and have them work. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve done that before, when I’m tired of trying to entertain teach my students. I just can’t do that every day. I’m a teacher who needs to connect with my students…have an ongoing intelligent discussion.
I’ve taught Yoga for five periods this week. You haven’t seen anything yet until you’ve seen 17 gang members in downward dog position. It was fabulous. We could run, but there’s no place to run. We could go to the track at the high school, but we’d have to walk ON THE STREET without getting hurt or someone shoved into traffic. Once again, I’m at a school with no materials, no equipment, no place…and I have to figure out how to get them 2.5 PE credits every six weeks.
You just couldn’t let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible aren’t you? You won’t kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won’t kill you, because you’re just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
- A kid threw his binder across the room today, then his papers, then his chair. I have impeccable discipline. I know how to do this. He walked back in to inform me that I was a fucking liar. Yes, he was suspended. For three days. I get to see him again next week sometime.
- “Ms. V, you’re trying to change us. Maybe we just don’t want to work. Maybe we just don’t want to do anything after High School.” If this is the future of our world, I weep. Oh, it is. It’s the present AND the future.
- “I drink with my Dad. It’s what we do. Why are you trying to get us to change?”–(an ongoing theme).
- I’ve never seen so many hickeys in my life…on everyone’s neck.
- Everyone reportedly smokes pot. They drink, smoke, use crack. How come they can’t mosey on down to the dollar store to get a Composition Book? Oh, because the state is SUPPOSED to get it for them. They know it, and I know it. I just wouldn’t get it for them. I said to them, “How can you afford beer and pot, but you can’t get your school supplies?” Lo and behold, every last one of them had one today.
- I have hit the wall with the F word. Had to give it up. Had to let go, because I will never get anything done. I told them how I feel about it. It’s up to them to honor it. Or not. I understand that I am giving up something here.
I have Jury Duty on August 25th. I’m hoping for a very long, long trial.
Long run in the morning. I’m out.
|Date:||8/16/2008 5:15 AM|
|Pace:||10:39 / mile|
|Shoe:||Mizuno Wave Renegade 4|
VO2 Max: 28
Yep, it only took 3 runs, but my feet feel fine in Mizuno’s. Calves too. First week training. Done.