|Date:||11/27/2008 8:00 AM|
|Course:||Lake Balboa Turkey Trot|
|Pace:||10:44 / mile|
|Shoe:||Mizuno Wave Renegade 4|
|Misc:||Quality: 7/10, Effort: 8/10|
|Weather:||52° F, Sunny|
VO2 Max: 27.1
Well, I’m back. Fantastic. My whole family was asking me WHY I was leaving to go run at Balboa Park, and I had no answer. Then I got there, and now i know. Here are the reasons and thoughts on the Turkey Trot…
- I get there, and everyone is smiling. Everyone is happy.
- I drive in behind this guy, we’ll call him corvette guy, my age, and he looked like a runner. We started talking about the race, and what a beautiful park it was.
- Two guys from New York, in racing singlets and real shorts (read: real runners), were telling me that I could do a marathon…He raced Boston 3x, and he was telling ME that I was capable.
- The starting line: Lots of couples, families, kids, dogs, strollers. Happy, Happy, Happy
- I finished, helping this little girl across the line to the clapping of her parents.
- This cute chick with a cute butt… I passed her. She was like 20 years old, and I’m like…oh YEAH!!!!!
- Again with the kids…where the hell do they come from during the race??? They always kick my ass.
It’s all good. Time for turkey. Loved the Trot.
Oh, and I came in 4th in my age group. 4th. Have no idea how many there were, but I was 4th. Getting in a new age group is the best part of running. 2 months!!!
PS-Corvette Guy. 50 years old. Came in at 25:20. He says to me as I am leaving, “The funny thing is, is I have Parkinson’s Disease.” I was humbled.
And, that’s why I run.