The first time I had coconut water was at the LA Marathon last year. I could not believe how much coconut water tasted like dirty socks. Or armpits. Anything like that. I could barely gag down a sip.
Then I discovered the flavored stuff. Thank God for that because I can now gag it down much easier. From the Posing Facts Blog: here are 15 things you didn’t know about coconut water. Maybe this will help…
1. It’s a natural isotonic beverage, with the same level of electrolytic balance as we have in our blood. It’s the fluid of life, so to speak.
2. During the Pacific War of 1941-45, both sides in the conflict regularly used coconut water – siphoned directly from the nut – to give emergency plasma transfusions to wounded soldiers..
3. Most coconut water is still consumed fresh in tropical coastal areas – once exposed to air, the liquid rapidly loses most of its organoleptic and nutritional characteristics, and begins to ferment.
4. Coconut Water is More Nutritious than whole milk – Less fat and NO cholesterol!
5. Coconut Water is More Healthy than Orange Juice – Much lower calories
6. Coconut Water is Better than processed baby milk- It contains lauric acid, which is present in human mother’s milk
7. Coconut water is naturally sterile — Water permeates though the filtering husk!
8. Coconut water is a universal donor– Its identical to human blood plasma
9. Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage – The same level we have in our blood.
10. Coconut water has saved lives in 3rd world countries thru Coconut IV.
11. Coconut water is the very stuff of Nature, biologically Pure, full of Natural Sugars, Salts, and Vitamins to ward off fatigue… and is the next wave of energy drinks BUT natural!’, according to Mortin Satin, Chief of the United Nation’s Food & Agriculture Organization.
12. Coconut water contains more potassium (at about 294 mg) than most sports drinks (117 mg) and most energy drinks..
13. Coconut water has less sodium (25mg) where sports drinks have around 41mg and energy drinks have about 200mg!
14. Coconut water has 5mg of Natural Sugars where sports and energy drinks range from 10-25mg of Altered Sugars.
15. Coconut water is very high in Chloride at 118mg; compared to sports drinks at about 39mg.
Also, from Nutrition & You, this benefit of coconut water caught my eye: Coconut water also contains a very good amount of electrolyte potassium. 100 ml of water has 250 mg of potassium and 105 mg of sodium. Together these electroltyes help replenish salt deficiency in the body. (due to diarrhea)…(but I am sensing a reason for runners to drink it)
I sit here an hour after my VitaCoco with peach & mango. It has left a funny taste in my mouth, unlike ZICO…Otherwise, the differences between the two are not noticeable. There’s a whole website dedicated to people who hate coconut water. The only way I can have it is with the flavors. Otherwise, still tastes like socks…Coconut Water does not rock my world, but I’m trying to get off the Gatorade train, as I suspect the high amount of sugar is not so good for me either.
Oh, and I tried to run 3 miles today. 1.5, and I was done. Will be trying to get my base back up, as I pick my Fall Marathon. I have my eye on the NorCal Marathon in September, but am not sure I’m ready to start training in a few weeks, or even if I want to.