And so it came to pass that I had lost my mojo. Somewhere along the path, my heel problem kept me firmly planted in my house. My running shoes hung up on the outside hook, instead of sitting next to my bed, waiting for me to fly into them each morning. I wrote and wrote about it. I wanted to run. I really did. But, I didn’t have the energy to really commit to a race. I had to drop out of the NIKE run. I couldn’t run.
I started to think I might never run …really run, again.
I decided to try the 40 day challenge: working out…doing anything for 40 days. 30 minutes of exercise. It was that simple. Because writing about it again and again wasn’t helping. I’m on day 23 today. Here’s where I found my mojo:
- In my back yard. In the pool. Swimming for 30 minutes. Laps. Going down to that diving board and doing pull ups. When I would forget that I needed to do my 30 minutes, I jumped in right there and just…swam.
- The Nike Training Club App for iPhone. This app kicks ass. Really keeps me going. Love that I get to watch a video, it keeps track of my workouts, I can share on Facebook, and I can put my playlists with the workouts.
- Foursquare. It’s ridiculous, really. Check in. Tell your friends where you are. Get mayorships. Badges. Well…I am really motivated to get my gym’s mayorship. So, yeah. I go a lot. Gotta see if my mojo was there as well. And, it was.
- Weight lifting. 11 years ago, I started a program with EAS. I still use that same upper body workout. I do the elliptical. I do abs. I just. do…anything that will keep me moving for 30 minutes.
- Running. And, finally, I ran. Only 20 miles the whole month. But. I did run. And I finally got up to 4 miles. Without stopping. I stopped beating myself up for “man, you used to run a lot, and you’ve run 4 marathons” mentality.