I had the most bizarre experience today. We had cause to spend some time together at a doctor’s office today. He with his smile, and what seemed like a friendly demeanor. Well. As best as he could.
So. 30 minutes later. He left an accidental voicemail on my phone. Calling me names. The bad ones. He didn’t know he was being recorded. And the funny thing is, he was talking to a different woman. Not that woman. Someone else. Was he speaking rhetorically? Or to her out the window or on another line…? I couldn’t tell. But when he finally realized that he was being recorded, you could hear the sickness in his voice. Like he all of a sudden was caught.
And here’s the deal. He talked about my blogs. Things he thinks he knows from reading them (this is my first post in a month).
My first reaction. Shut everything down. Go dark. Run.
Then. Another response.
No. I will not. I am not afraid; I am not worried.
In fact, my response was to stand right up. Most people know I adore social media. I’ve met wonderful friends on Twitter…my running world would not be complete without them. I snapchat daily with a friend from my last job. I love connecting with long standing friends across the country. I’m the first to get on board for a new outlet. I love it all. So, in light of this morning’s development, instead of shrinking and changing what I love, I simply have decided to fling myself right out here, and give you my take on all the social media. Including links that will take you right to my page.
First, the uglies.
- Ello So not sure about this one yet. I joined. I love the format. I just don’t get it yet. I’m reserving judgment, but there is no app, so I’m not hep. Yet.
- Biker Or Not An old site I rarely use. When I used to have a backseat, I loved reading some of these posts. They are snarky and adult, and it’s only given me some cute pictures, nothing else. I certainly am not interested in someone else’s backseat. I go on and off of this one. It’s really not for me. Weird format.
The ones I like the most:
- Google + This is my new favorite. No advertisements. Clean format. Easily ported through gmail, google, youtube. I like the interconnectedness.
- Twitter One of my first online ventures, I started Twitter when it was just a year old. I met hundreds of people that I started to interact with on a regular basis. I didn’t know any of them, but they became real, when all over the country, Tweetups were the thing of the day. Many of those old friends from 2008 are people I talk with daily on Facebook. I have a public profile, because I like the seamless interaction with businesses, and since I’ve come back to teaching, Twitter has started to flesh out my career. Also. Anyone remember the governor helping to save my house? Yes, I could go on forever about this one. I love Twitter.
- Instagram I love this site. But. What I really love it clicking your picture two times to bring up that heart. So satisfying. So many people I know do JUST Instagram, so it’s a fun way to connect. The filters. RISE. My personal favorite. Super fun.
- Pinterest When this first started, I just liked a page of all my favorite stuff. Then, I liked to be able to link pictures to web pages I used regularly. As with everything, some wise guys have fake pins that take you to spam, but for the most part, I like my collections. It’s sort of my history there now.
- Snapchat This is the site where you take a pic, send it, and it’s gone. Instantly. Or so you think. I only use it with a few friends. Mostly snarky and sarcastic and stuff we don’t want seen again. You know who you are.
- Spotify My only music sharing site. I have the premium. I have thousands of collections, and follow many more. I love music.
Lastly. Facebook. How could I forget you? I have a love/hate relationship with you. I can’t disconnect, because you own everything. I will figure out a way, but for now, I am with you.
I’m not afraid. I’m authentic. Think what you want…then come join me.