Here are a few of my random thoughts today people. I am trying to avoid the ABSOLUTELY STUPIDEST THING I DID EVER YESTERDAY!!!!!!
I signed up for a Half Marathon. In Fresno, in November. What the hell was I thinking? I get exhausted running 3 miles. I cannot do it. So, for now, I will avoid any mention of it. (Yeah, I printed my schedule of training.) Their long run is 12 miles. That’s like to a whole other city. No way. No way. What was I thinking?
1) It’s all about the music for me. If it’s bad, I am not having fun. Gotta fix my playlist. Added some new ones yesterday, which will be taken off today. It wasn’t a bad start, but my run was pretty bad. It was hot and sunny. I can’t complain though, after reading Arkansas Running Girl’s post about humidity! I had gotten up late because I can’t sleep lately. I mean 2:30am can’t sleep. It’s not good.
Today’s Magic 3
Mamma Mia, ABBA
Hunk of Burning Love, Elvis
Lemon Tree, Trini Lopez (great fun)
2) I have been teaching since 1981. I have never had to teach Summer School. Until now. Times are tough man. Tomorrow, I teach a Summer School stint of Sophomore English. We are reading To Kill A Mockingbird, and are writing Where I’m From poems. These kids didn’t do their whole year, so I have to cram it in five weeks. Yeah, we’re writing an essay everyday. Tomorrow, we are talking about our family origins. I remember CTG doing this with his kids, or perhaps another English teacher. We’ll do Father’s Day letters and listen to music (Father & Son from Cat Stevens). Should be fun. I’m dragging out my own work to display for you.
Here’s my poem that I wrote with my 8th graders last year:
Where I’m From
By Ms. Vermeulen
I am from dishrags and hand towels
From Ajax and brown shutters
I am from the orange tree that blossoms white
I am from the tadpoles caught and
Cared for in the back yard;
Both smells go together.
I am from the gorgeous blood red rosebushes,
The ones that receive my father’s diligence.
I am from Santa on the roof
Jingling the bells for all the children to hear.
I am from the brown eyed girls,
From Don & Dee Dee, Grace & Gladys.
I am from eating tacos on Friday night,
With oiled corn tortillas and raking leaves
On Saturday morning.
From clean your plate and don’t hurt anyone’s feelings.
I am from In My Father’s House there are many rooms
Getting saved over and over again.
I am from Burbank
And from William White on the Mayflower
Fluffy pancakes and strong coffee
From the Bon Bon machine that Grandpa
The BB Gun that my father accidentally shot,
Lodging a pellet in the wall,
I am from the small square photographs
That has the date written in ink on the back.
Photo albums that my mother puts together
Her handwriting identifying all of us.
From those moments snapped in time
Their value lodged in my heart.
3) Yeah, we have the patent for the Popsicle Stick. Here it is, for proof.
4) Please stop ending your sentences with the word, *at*. You have a perfectly fine sentence until you say that word. It’s a preposition. Do you not remember this from High School? Where’r you at? It’s fine, until the at. ‘nuf said.
5) It’s summer. One of my favorite Book Group girls always always always picks a *classic* to read in the Summer. We’re not reading any new, fun beach books. Nooooooooo, it’s Catcher In The Rye for her. Thank God last summer she picked To Kill a Mockingbird though…since I am teaching it tomorrow. Good thing I read it.
Not too deep, but there is my Sunday thought process. Now, if the guy behind me would only set his sprinklers for another time of day, and not midnight, I might get a good night’s sleep.